How to Create a Stunningly Simple Website
All businesses need a powerful website. A well thought out, easy to navigate, visually impactful website, inevitably reflects well on your business and brand. So why do so many businesses get it wrong?
Most of the time it’s because they overcomplicate instead of keeping it simple. As humans, we dislike complicated experiences, and simplicity leads to faster purchasing decisions. So let’s tailor our websites to this insight.
We’ve gathered our top tips for creating perfectly straightforward and breathtakingly simple websites.
- Avoid advertising – it’s confusing, adds clutter and can undermine your business.
- Find your true purpose: Ask yourself “what’s the one thing I want visitors to do on my website?” Then design everything around this.
- Limit your menu: Limit your menu selection to no more than 7 items.
- Use lots of ‘white’ space: This means empty space, or very subtle design, that demands less attention. It’s a crucial ingredient for simplicity.
- Simple structure: Assume visitors don’t know much about your business. Design your website structure to help visitors easily find the right information.
- Drop Down Menus: They might seem like a good way to save space, but it can be complicated for visitors to navigate. So use them wisely!
- Reduce your options: Providing less options helps your users make faster and better decisions on your website.
- Stick to a few colours: Limit your design to one or two colours – aligned with your brand.
- Remove ‘unclicked’ options: Any lack of activity on your site needs to go!
- Increase visuals: Reduce copy and opt for a conclusive set of images. Humans are visual creatures and images add intuitiveness to your website.
- Test, test, test: Always test your website as early and as often as possible. Get different perspectives from different users – tweak accordingly.
It’s easy to create a simple website. They’re more attractive, more accessible, and more successful. And they can also be quite affordable.
If you need help creating a beautiful and powerful website, drop us a line firstname.lastname@example.org